× Here you can get community support related to ReDJ.

200 or 301?

More
11 years 10 months ago #124 by vis22
200 or 301? was created by vis22
We transferred an old website with hundreds of pages and many languages to Joomla 2.5.6. All content on old website has .htm suffix. In view of search engines rank, what is better to use: redirection 200 (opening old .htm address with new .html content) or 201 (redirecting old .htm address to new .html address)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #125 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 200 or 301?
Hi,
both options could be good for a search engine.

But if you want to give a cut with the past and would like to have the freedom to choose a new URL format, I'd use the 301 redirect. You must just ensure that any old page is redirected to the corresponding new version. To do this you can use ReDJ support for regular expressions and macros, so you should not create an item rule for every redirect, because a rule can match many redirects at once.

Kind regards,
Luigi

More
11 years 10 months ago #126 by vis22
Replied by vis22 on topic Re: 200 or 301?
Thanks Luigi, you're probably right, but could you give me the example of using regular expressions and macros? Don't I have to redirect each individual old URL to its corresponding new URL?

More
11 years 10 months ago #127 by admin
Suppose you need to move any URL under /myoldcategory, and suppose the new URL format is /mynewcat, then you can create a rule as follow:
From URL: /myoldcategory
To URL: http://{siteurl}/mynewcat{pathltrim /myoldcategory}{queryfull}

There's also a quick guide available for download on this site.

Kind regards,
Luigi

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #131 by vis22
Replied by vis22 on topic Re: 200 or 301?
We've decided to go for 301 redirections but we encountered a problem. Old website used Joomla extension for SEF links and it has some links written as folders but there're also additonal links connected to that folder. We want to define specific redirects but if we make a redirect for old folder, all links that contain that folder in their url address also get redirected to the replacement for folder. For example:

/foldername/ gets redirected to /newfolder/newfilename.html

We want file /foldername/filename.htm to be redirected to new link /newfolder/somefilename.html

but it gets redirected to the above link (/newfolder/newfilename.html)

How can we avoid this and have each file being redirected to its own replacement regardless of the same folder? I placed second redirection before folder redirection but it does not have any impact.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by vis22. Reason: Corrections

More
11 years 10 months ago #132 by admin
The ordering should work, so could you end me a dump of ReDJ table? I need to check rules. If you prefer, send an email at info(at)selfget.com.

Kind regards,
Luigi

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds